Population expansion in India has been taken as a severe alarm since commencement of the First Five Year Plan as it has direct impact on the socio-economic rank of the country resulting into poor living standards for large section of its population. Family planning hence continues to be an essential part of the family welfare programme in India. Family planning services, apart from making comprehensive medical services (related to family planning) available, also deals with educating the mass on the importance of planning their family as well as different methods available to space or limit their family so that eligible couples can adopt the method of their choice. To motivate individuals/couples to support the population control program, Government of India is increasing awareness on the benefits of reducing population growth - which include better lifestyle, better education, cleaner environment, and better health & well-being of every individual. Under NRHM, family planning services is given utmost importance as mean of population stabilization and efforts in this regard are being taken up. State is endeavoring to provide the need based and appropriate family planning choices for its people. Despite its efforts, a large population is still having poor accessibility to the family planning services, as it is reflected in the above table. In order to fulfill the unmet needs for family planning services state has taken up several innovative strategies in recent years.
Strategies for Family Planning:
The Total Fertility Rate is 3.2 as per NFHS 3. There has been an increasing need in the use of the contraceptives for family planning however, there are still gaps to meet the unmet need for family planning. Motivation and counseling sessions to the clients would be adequately provided through use of audio-visuals and IEC and BCC methods. Sahiyyas, ANMs, AWWs would be involved for outreach information dissemination.
- Biannual State level review and monitoring
- Setting up a state family planning cell that shall ensure quality and outreach of family planning services
- Operationalization of fixed day services (FDS)
- Institutionalizing the post partum family planning services including sterilization (PPS) and counseling services
- Family planning camps with more focus on female sterilization, IUCD services
- Integrated IEC/BCC
- Training of Sahiyyas and Anganwadi workers with adequate compensation package and incentivized mobilization through Sahiyya and other motivators
- Capacity building for skilled trainers:
- Family planning insurance scheme
- Family planning counseling through AWW, Sahiya, ANM, LHVs
- Provisioning of family planning counselors